Here are some tips to minimize your heating costs and maximize furnace efficiency
Water Heater Tip
- Inspect your furnace filter once per month and change it as needed.
- Replace damaged weatherstripping and caulk any leaks you find around windows, doors and electrical outlets. (Make sure you don't caulk around storm windows - it holds in moisture and can cause damage to the wood frame.)
- Use storm windows and doors and make sure they fit tightly.
- By using a humidifier, you can set your thermostat lower by 2-6 degrees. Try it, it really works!
- Clean warm-air registers, baseboard heaters, and radiators as needed; make sure they're not blocked by furniture, carpeting, or drapes.
- During the heating season, keep the draperies and shades on your south-facing windows open during the day to allow sunlight to enter your home and closed at night to reduce the chill you may feel from cold windows.
Shut off gas or electric, attach a garden hose, and drain. Draining your water heater annually can extend the life of your water heater by many years.